Wednesday, March 13, 2013

At the beginning of this blog, I talked about my best friend Jerry G. Kathie.  Jerry was not only my friend, but a person that was very willing to share model building techniques.  In return, I was the same to him.  I can not begin to tell you the hours we spent together building models.  When our wives wanted to go shopping, or do other girl things, we would get together and build models.  If Jerry was doing something on a project that was different, he would share with me how to do it.  Likewise, I would do the same with him.  Most of the models we built during these times were ones that we were going to enter into contests knowing that we would be competing against each other.  Fellow modelers could not believe that we were like that, or that one did not got angry if the other beat them in a contest.  It was almost funny how things went during the contest season.  We would go to a contest in Cincinnati, Ohio where Jerry would win first place in the drag racing class, and I would win second.  We would take the same models to a contest in Indianapolis, Indiana were I would win first place and Jerry would win second in the drag racing class.  The next contest would be the reverse with Jerry winning first place and me taking second.  This happened so much that we would tease each other before walking into a contest and guess the results.  In many cases we were right.  When we went to long distance contest sites, we went as a group of four.  The wives would go along and we would make a weekend mini trip.  One day we would do whatever the wives wanted to do and the other day we would go to a model contest.  Those were great times that we had that my wife and I will never forget.
 

This is a picture of Jerry that was in an article that I wrote about him after he passed away.  It was published in the January, 1995 issue of "Plastic Fanatic".  Jerry was a huge Mopar fan.  At one time, he had built 10 or 12 Sox and Martin drag cars along.  The following photos are of some of the models that I bought from his collection after his passing.  I stay with the topic of this blog, and mainly post his drag racing models. 
 
 

Most of Jerry's Sox and Martin cars were purchased by a collector from Canada, however I did get these two. These were two of his prize winning models.
 
 
This is a replica of one of the many Rod Shop drag cars.  Back in the day, Rod Shop sponsored a large team of cars.

 
 
These are replicas of two of the cars raced by Wally Booth.  Wally was a big name back in the day.
 
 
Most people remember the '69 AMX that Shirley Shahan drove in Super Stock class.  Here is a replica of the Hornet that she drove later.
 

This is a replica of a Cougar Super Stocker driven by Don Nicholson.  This was another rare car.






 
Here are two of Jerry's Funny Car models.  Like the other models, these were prize winners too.  I hope that you enjoy looking at these models.
 


 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment